Sunday, June 3, 2012

Heaven is for real...really??

Alright. So, I gave in. I really didn't what to, but I did, and now I really wish that I hadn't. While I was cleaning the last room of the day at work, one of my fellow coworkers comes in and throws down the book Heaven Is For Real. I ask her what she was doing with it and she said that she found it in the den and took it home to try and read it, apparently she only got through the acknowledgments & prologue before calling it quits. She said she just couldn't read it anymore.

Once everyone had left the room, I honestly picked up the book and had a staring match with it. I kept telling myself, "DON'T DO IT NYLA! DON'T READ IT!" But for some odd reason, I decided that I can't really judge a book until I've read it for myself. So I stashed the book in my work cart and went about my work.

On my way out of work, I honestly didn't want anyone to see me carrying this book. Being seen with it seemed so sketchy and far beyond what I believe. So I took the darn then home and placed it on my book shelf. It really took me about 4 days before I decided that I should attempt to try and read it.

Sadly, I didn't get much farther then my fellow co-worker. I read as far as her and to page 8 when I said, I just can't do it. Honestly, this book was boring me to tears and I was on page 8....PAGE 8!! I really didn't see what any of this crap had to do with this little boy almost dying and seeing Jesus. And like many of the reviews that I have read, I don't understand why this sort of thing only happens to a "pastors child"...and I find it funny that it took them so many years to get all of this stuff out of the child. Do they not think that he could have made something up in the mean time? Or even elaborated a little??

Another thing I guess I don't understand is why so many people say that this little book gave them "hope"....hold up. Doesn't the Bible give you hope? Doesn't the story of Jesus dying on the cross & coming back give you hope? I will never understand why when something happens to a child, everyone always wants to believe them. I once had someone tell me "kids don't lie", but as I've gotten older, that is far beyond true. Kids lie all the time. Whether to get attention or just to simply sound "cool". I'm not going to sit here and say that this child didn't have something happen to him, but seeing as this book took so long for the father (the pastor) to write, I just don't see how some of this stuff isn't....hmmm what's the right word here....made to sound better then what it really was.

I don't mean to offend anyone who read the book and enjoyed it, but I just couldn't do it. I was bored to tears I tell you, TO TEARS! I was rather surprised that no one on facebook happened to comment on my review of the book. Either they just didn't care enough to do so, or they didn't know what to say to me since I didn't care for the book at all.

My review would be to give book 0 out of 5 stars. It really is that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment