Thursday, November 17, 2011

Surgery Day

Well, surgery this morning went as good as we had expected. I'm so glad to be out of that hospital and back at my parents house. We were all up and moving at about 5 this morning....needless to say we were all wide awake. Even Colby ended up waking up and staying awake until surgery.

We got to the hospital at around 7 (a little early since we were told to check in by 7:30) and we actually didn't have to wait very long. Colby was pretty good until we had to go back into the little cubical and wait for the nurses and dr to come back and talk to us. One of the nurses was extremely nice and brought us a portable dvd player and some movies so we could keep Colby occupied. We did need to give him some medicine to try and calm him down a little bit as he was getting restless and wanting to walk around. You would thinking giving an oral liquid to a child would be easy.....HA...needless to say most of that crap ended up on me & Colby. But we did manage to get just enough in his mouth that he was really calm.

Watching Colby go back with the nurses really got to me. I wanted to cry but luckily I didn't. Dr had told us that the whole thing would take about an hour which was good because I don't think I could sit around waiting more then what we did already.

When they came and got us, we had to wait about another 15-20 minutes before we got to see him. They said that when their patients are sleeping, they don't wake them until THEY are ready, which is kind of nice. Once Colby finally woke up, the brought him back to us. Poor little guy was just all swollen and crying. I felt terrible because we couldn't get him to calm down for more then 5 minutes at a time. And we had to wait there in recovery for about another hour. I think the scariest part about the whole thing was that his tears were pinkish-red. They said that will just be drainage and will happen for a while....ick. They also had to put a feeding tube in for surgery so he had a bloody nose as well.

Ray relaxing with Colby in recovery
The hardest part tho about once we got him back was taking out his IV. OOOOHHH man...I think we scared some of the other people that were around us because he was just screaming! He kept trying to pull it out himself which I know hurt him, but I'm pretty sure he felt 100% better after the nurse took it out of his little arm.

After that, we were able to get him calm down enough to take some crackers and some water. The whole problem tho is that we can't just let him chug water down or eat whatever he wants. The dr told us to be sure to treat him as if he's got the flu. So pretty much just clear liquids and crackers for my little man...atleast through lunch time.

THE hardest part was when they told us we could go. I was carrying him out of the office and walking throught the waiting rooms was really hard. All those people kept staring at us and here I am walking through the hall way with a crying child who's eyes are all swollen. I honestly wanted to cry. I felt terrible for him.

--15 Minute Leave To Comfort Waking Child--

We honestly couldn't get him to stop crying until we got about half way across Lincoln. He then, finally, passed out and stayed asleep. After we got him home he stayed asleep for about an hour and a half and has just woken up now. haha. But he is feeling better I think. But as for opening his eyes, that has been a bit of a challenge. They had told us that his vision may be blurred so seeing things will definatly hurt. But right now he's not really communicating what he wants, just kind of wants us to hold him and try to remember where he is at.

--leaves to check on child--

Alright, as of right now, he is awake, pretty calm and is eating cereal and drinking down water with grandma. He has his eyes open, for the most part. I think his eyes still hurt a lot. I think tonight will just be a sit around watching kid movies type of night. I'm just happy he is not screaming and crying like he was earlier.

Anyway, nothing too much else going on here. I guess I could talk about pregnancy. As of right now, I have been SWELLING. Not just my hands, but all down in my lady bits. O.M.G. does it hurt. Not when I pee or anything like that, just in general. My OBGYN will be down there this coming Tuesday so I'm sure she can tell me how it's going. Today also, my left leg felt REALLY tight. Like I had bloat or something. Man, did that hurt when I had to carry my 2 year old out.

Ok, I think that is enough updating from this end. I will keep everyone posted on how Colber-bean is doing and how the baby is doing as well. Less then 5 weeks to go and I couldn't be more ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment